LoCo Day 29

Two small but welcome changes today:

First, I reduced a lot of the lag during game play by excising a bit of debugging code on the server. The server had been printing out to the console the session context for each request before processing it further. Since I had gotten sessions working quite some time ago, all this did in practice was add a slight delay in processing each request, which wasn’t noticeable until you start trying to play a real-time game where each move sends a new request to the server. There’s still a bit of noticeable lag during the game, but it feels much smaller now.

Second, colors are now used to distinguish you from other players: you are blue, and everyone else is red. This way, you can tell right from the beginning who you are in the game. This is currently implemented by having the server reply to the “I’m ready to play” request by sending the client the ID used to identify that player during the game. There’s still no indication of who is who in the chat window, or is information about who dies when presented to the player (other than saying “someone died”), but the information is there for whenever I get around to implementing it.

Also! I discovered that part of the Conf structure passed into Happstack to start the web server is indeed a timeout for how long to let a request sit idle before killing it. The timeout defaults to 30 seconds, which explains why my initial attempt to use a 60-second interval for long polling kept resulting in server-generated errors. One of the next things on my to-do list is to make the host and port the web server listens on configurable instead of hard-coded, so while I’m at it I might as well lengthen the timeout.

One Response

  1. You’re right, the colors and reduced lag are big improvements.

Comments are closed.